Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fettuccine with Spring vegetables


I saw my first bunch of in-season fresh asparagus at the produce market recently, and couldn't wait to get it home and make a pasta primavera.  I was hoping to find some fresh baby peas, but the market didn't have any.  No worry - I got baby spinach instead, and some mushrooms to round it out, and some fresh lemons that I wanted to zest with my new Microplane Grater.  How I ever lived without this kitchen tool I will never know.  It makes beautiful, baby-fine lemon zest that adds a huge punch of flavor to whatever you're cooking - pasta, vegetables, rice, etc.

Here's what I did when I got home:

Cook a package of fettuccine according to package directions.

Cut asparagus and mushrooms into 1-inch pieces, then place in large saute pan along with baby spinach and some herbs - I used fresh dill and dried thyme.  Cook/steam in 1 cup of vegetable broth until vegetables reach desired tenderness.  Retain whatever vegetable broth hasn't been absorbed.

In separate pan, saute a few cloves of garlic in olive oil, then add diced extra firm tofu and cook until lightly browned.

Toss all ingredients together, then add the juice of one lemon.  Top each plate with a fresh grating of lemon zest

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment