Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pasta with cashew cream


I had noticed that a lot of vegan bloggers were raving about cashew cream, and decided to try it for myself.  I'm so glad I did - it's amazing.  Very easy to make with just a few ingredients, and you can pour it over pasta, vegetables, potatoes, grains, or whatever your heart desires.  It actually doesn't really taste like cashews - it's just a perfect light,versatile cream sauce.  You have to try it.

Start by soaking 1 cup of cashews in water for at least 2 hours, or overnight.  Use plenty of water, because the cashews will absorb quite a bit.

Drain and discard the water.  Put the cashews in your blender with 1/2 cup of filtered water, and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.  I use the juice of one lemon, and white pepper instead of black pepper.

Blend in blender for a while - my blender is pretty powerful and I let it go for about 5 minutes.  It's done when it has turned into a smooth cream with no lumps.

Now it's ready to serve - no need to cook or heat it.  The blender will warm it up enough that you can pour it right over whatever you're serving it with.  It keeps beautifully in a sealed container in the fridge, and I understand that it freezes well.

In the photo above, I served it over pasta, broccoli, and Gardein Chick'n Scallopini slices, and topped it with some lemon zest.  It was really delicious and satisfying.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment