Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Secret-ingredient mashed potatoes

Again, on the subject of reducing kitchen waste, I was trying to figure out what to do with broccoli stalks.  We eat a lot of fresh broccoli - it's one of my favorite foods - and consequently had a lot of broccoli stalks making their way into the compost bin.  I searched online for ways to use the stalks, and found the idea of adding them to mashed potatoes.  This doesn't really change the flavor or the texture, but it does add vitamins, bulk, and healthy fiber - all from something I was going to throw away. 

Here's what I do:

Scrub some potatoes - enough to serve 2 to 3 people.  I use Yukon Gold potatoes, and since the peels are so thin, I don't remove them.  Chop into 1-inch chunks.

Use a vegetable peeler to remove the tough outer layer from two or three broccoli stalks.  Discard the peels.  Chop the peeled stalks into coins about 1/4-inch thick.

Transfer the chopped potatoes and broccoli stalks into a large pan.  Add enough water to cover, and a teaspoon of salt.  Bring to a boil then simmer until tender - about 30 minutes. 

Drain water.  Add some Earth Balance margarine, salt, pepper, and celery salt to taste.  Mash with potato masher.  Serve, and ask your guests if they can identify the secret ingredient.  They'll never guess it's broccoli stalks!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Bet this is yummy. Husband George has been doing this with zucchini forever, and I love it. We'll have to try the "secret ingredient";-D

    ReplyDelete