Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Salad of the week: pears, pecans, dried cherries


I decided recently to start making a big salad for dinner once a week.  This week, we were invited to a raw vegan potluck, and I had planned to make a huge kale/beet/carrot salad for the event.  However, the produce market didn't have the dinosaur kale that's so good for salads - they only had curly kale, which is thicker and, I think, better cooked than raw.  So I changed course at the last minute and decided to build a salad around some nice-looking pears I found.  Then, it turned out that the potluck wasn't scheduled for that night - it's NEXT Sunday.  Oops!  No worry - we packed up the salad and took it to Steph's for big salad night.  I had two bowls, and Lenny and Steph each had THREE bowls, and we finished it off!  Here's a list of everything that went into the salad:


It was pretty good.  If I had it to do again I would use less of the tart cherries - they go a long way.  The lemon zest, which is my favorite thing in the world right now, was a nice touch.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment