Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stuffed mushroom caps

I bought a bunch of different kinds of really beautiful vegetables that I planned to cook for Mother's Day dinner, but then I had a small accident and had to put everything in the fridge and go to bed for a couple of days.  Now those delicious ingredients are calling to me from the kitchen - I want to hurry up and use them while they're still in their prime.  Last night's quinoa with LOTS of fresh asparagus and English peas was fantastic, if a little decadent for just two people.

So tonight I tackled the mushrooms - wish I had taken a photo, but they're all gone now!  I found these really big white mushrooms at Whole Foods - I don't know what kind they are but I got four of them.  I decided tonight that it would be interesting to stuff them and have them all hot and garlicky from the oven.  Here's what I did (all of these proportions can be adjusted to your liking):

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350. 

Step 2: Clean:
  • 4 big mushrooms (you could also use 6 or 8 medium ones)
Then remove the stems, and set them aside.

Step 3: Chop in food processor until small:
  • one small onion (I used a Spring onion, but white or yellow would work, or shallots)
  • 3 cloves garlic

Step 4: Saute the onions and garlic until translucent in:
  • a Tablespoon or so of Earth Balance margarine

Step 5: Trim the ends off of the mushroom stems and discard; then chop the rest in the food processor.

Step 6: Add the chopped mushrooms to the onion/garlic mixture.  Then add:
  • a generous splash of mirin
  • a handful of panko bread crumbs (any kind of break crumbs would work)
  • a dash or two of black pepper
  • a pinch or two of dried parsley
Mix until combined, adding more mirin if it's too dry; continue to saute until heated through.

Step 7: Place the mushroom caps in a shallow ovenproof pan.  Brush them all over with some:
  • olive oil 

Step 8: Divide the onion/garlic/etc. mixture into as many parts as you have mushrooms (in this case, four parts).  Stuff each mushroom and mound the filling over the cavity. 

Step 9: Top each stuffed mushroom with a little smear of:
  • truffle oil

Step 10: Bake at 350 for 10 or 15 minutes, depending on how big your mushrooms are.  When they're done they will be brown on top and they will have started leaking a little moisture in the baking dish.

Serves 2.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment