Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sweet and salty butternut squash


Haven't been posting much lately - I'm super busy and will continue to be so through February.  After that, I'm looking forward to doing lots of cooking!

I have made some yummy things recently, but I don't always get around to taking a picture - or things taste delicious but aren't very photogenic.  But here's a picture of the "sweet and salty butternut squash" recipe I made last night.  It might not look like much, but it's outrageously yummy.  It was inspired by the huge butternut squash that came in my CSA box a couple of weeks ago and a container of maple syrup that my Secret Santa at work got for me. 

The recipe is online, here.  I tweaked the quantities a little to account for the fact that I had a HUGE squash and the recipe called for a medium one.  Here's what I did:

- Peel an enormous butternut squash and cut into 1-inch cubes.  Put the cubes in a large soup or stock pot.

- Add 2 cups vegetable broth, 4 tsp soy sauce, and 2 Tbsp maple syrup.

- Cover, and bring to a slow simmer.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until soft.

I served it with brown rice and Gardein Chick'n Scallopini.  It was filling, warm, nutritious, savory and delicious.  I think I'm getting another squash in my CSA box tomorrow - if so, I'll repeat this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment