Saturday, September 4, 2010

Veganized rosemary-lemon cupcakes



Still working on my recipe to submit for the Better Homes & Gardens "Mad For Plaid" recipe contest, where entrants are to take a recipe from any of the 15 editions of the BH&G cookbook and put their "own spin" on it.  I decided to veganize BH&G's recipe for Rosemary & Lemon Cupcakes. 

I have it at the point where the cupcakes taste amazing - really lemony and melt-in-your-mouth moist. 
Unfortunately, despite my ministrations and purchase of fancy cupcake papers and little purple flowers, I'm not that happy with the way they look.  For some reason, the cupcake papers won't stay stuck to the cupcakes - I think it's because the cupcakes are so moist.  They just peel right away, leaving my cupcakes looking kind of deformed and weird. 

I'm going out of town for a little bit, and will make another batch when I get back.  I'll fill the cupcake papers a little fuller, so the finished cupcakes peek over the tops of the papers a little more; I'm hoping that will help them adhere to the cupcakes better.  I want the cupcakes to look a little more abundant and decadent; at this point I think they look a little skimpy.

Here's the recipe, in case anyone wants to try these.  Again, they taste really, really good, and they're vegan!

INGREDIENTS:
   1/2 cup soy yogurt
   1/2 cup soy milk
   1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine, softened
   1 cup granulated sugar
   1-1/2 tsp lemon extract
   1/2 tsp vanilla
   1-3/4 cups flour
   1-1/2 tsp baking powder
   1/2 tsp salt
   2 tsp finely-chopped fresh rosemary
   2 or 3 organic lemons
   1 cup powdered sugar

STEP 1:  Preheat oven to 350.  Line 15 muffin cups with paper bake cups (next time I might just do 12 and fill them fuller, then increase the baking time accordingly).

STEP 2:  Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl.  Beat on medium speed until just combined, scraping bowl.

STEP 3:  In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and rosemary. 

STEP 4:  Add dry mixture to wet mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.

STEP 5:  Stir in 1 tsp finely-shredded lemon peel and 3 Tbsp lemon juice.

STEP 6:  Fill prepared cups 3/4 full.

STEP 7:  Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.

STEP 8:  Prepare Lemon Glaze: combine powdered sugar and 4 or 5 tsp. lemon juice until desired consistency is reached. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel.

STEP 9:  Spoon glaze on to cupcakes.  If desired, garnish with a sprinkling of lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment